Saturday, May 14, 2011

Need a Heartwarming Story?

I read a wide variety of books, but the ones on the suspense and mystery shelves are the ones that draw me irresistibly. I do, however, have a problem with many of the stories I find there. For lack of a better term, I will say that they have no 'heart.' The heroes in so many of them are homeless, unloved, uncaring-- they commit crimes with impunity, then dance away to live another day. I was delighted when I found a new series by one of my favorite authors, James Patterson, co-authored with Michael Ledwidge. I won't attempt to write a review of the story, but this series begins with 'Step on a Crack,' and tells the intrinsically involved story of, Michael Bennett, a New York detective who it trying to stop a crew of kidnappers holding the congregation of St. Patrick's Cathedral, hostage.

The thing that makes this book so interesting is Bennett's ten adopted children and the fact that he has a wife dying of cancer. The interaction is heartwarming, and it delivers the story in a way that might surprise many dedicated suspense fans. Give me books, lots and lots of books, but entertain me with a story that warms my heart.

No comments: