Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Top Secret Information - Don't Tell a Soul You Read this Here!

There are many things in the world that ought to be kept under wraps and not discussed at all. Novelists often think that they need to go to great lengths, ad nauseum, and give each detail of a romantic scene. Then there are the ‘tell all’ books that crop up after some well-know person dies or leaves office. I can survive without knowing what he/she ate for breakfast before they jumped from the 14th story window of their condo.

I am especially bothered when someone working for the government discloses information that might be valuable to a foreign government or terrorist’s organization. I admire people who can keep a secret, even a juicy secret, until the Halleluiah Chorus is sung for the last time. There are, however, things that aren’t worth locking away forever.

A case in point is the decision by a couple living in Toronto, Canada not to divulge the sex of their baby. It seems that they sent out the usual birth announcements, but kept the sex of the baby secret. It seems to me that this is a prime dedication looking desperately for a cause. You can click on the title of this article and read the story for yourself, but you have to promise me that you won’t tell anyone else.

6 comments:

Milton T. Burton said...

Actress Mary Stuart Masterson (the little blond dyke in "Fried Green Tomatoes") had her first child last year at age 42. She has been remarkably protective of it and little info had gotten out. I think this is going a bit far, though.

~kate said...

I'm thinking these are going to be three messed up kids. Not that I have a problem with them letting the kids wear pink or let their hair grow, but to completely gender neutralize them is just as bad as insisting they only do gender specific things.
"Fried Green Tomatoes" is one of my favorite movies, Milton. "Tawanda!!!"

Pauline said...

I saw that story, too and thought there's a kid that will need a shrink to deal with life.

Victoria May said...

I have recently read about this case and found it fascinating. I am not sure how I feel about this, but I have to admit, it kinda scares me...
Also: read this..A Truly fascinating Book: "As Nature Made Him".. a true story written by a man (John Colapinto) whose gender was reassigned at birth as a result of a botched circumcision...
It left me feeling that the words Gender & reassignment should Not be in the same sentence..as far as a Child is concerned..

Victoria May said...

I read this story also..and I just don't know how to feel about it..but I do find it a little scary.. There is a very fascinating book..."As nature Made Him" written by a man (John Colapinto) who had his gender reassigned as a result of a botched circumcision..
A very interesting read..

Joe Prentis said...

Vicki,

A doctor friend of mine told me that in one of about 10,000 cases, the doctor has to make a decision as to what gender the baby should be.

Thanks for the comment, and good to hear from you.